Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Movie Hesitations

I will easily admit that I'm very cautious about the movies we watch. We watch almost everything before we give it to our kids to freely watch. But one of my husband's favorite "down time" hobbies is watching movies...... we are happy little Neflix customers.

Lately though I've been in a "movie funk". A friend graciously let us borrow some of her kids' videos for us to show to ours. Although we thought some of the movies were ok, we were convinced that they weren't right for our kids at this time. And during the "screening process" I just became more and more aware of all the junk that are getting put into movies, especially "kids". I know many times the offensive lines or idea are quick or subtle, so our kids might not initially pick it up..... but they are still hearing it and so are we!


So during some "down time" this week we stuck in an ole' classic "Oklahoma" the musical. My goodness, I couldn't believe all the sexual references and kidding...what in the world????

Finally at our local library I found something that was "decent"...there were still a few curse words. But it was a peak into another person's culture and religion, at least how they were portrayed. And it was a cute story....originial:) Anyway, the name is Arranged and it's sweet! Although I do wonder what background the writer and director have....

5 comments:

Drea said...

we watched the movie. it was cute :-) we enjoyed it. I was hoping the jewish girl would share w/ her mom who gave that information about her husband in the 1st place.. to show that her friend was a good person... maybe help them be more loving. any who it was cute :-)

I agree kids movies have lots of junk in them... I dont like caleb to watch some. Like that all Dogs go to heaven one. I was just amazed at how many times they said SHUT UP and how violent it was... he wont watch that again. I wouldnt let him finish it after the 1st 30 minutes.. it was awful. I dnt recall it being bad tho as a child.. weird huh?

I think tho ones like bee movie are fine.. if a child brings up something that isnt appropriate i think it is a good opportunity to explain how we are to watch what we say... and the importance of being respectful and loving with our words.

So im not worried with those movies.. but I do think we have to monitor what we let our kids see.

Jenn said...

I agree Andrea. They are going to be exposed to a lot of bad stuff. They will need to be guided and taught what is appropriate vs. inappropriate.

Let me tell ya'll, after my kids went to kindergarten and even at the private preschool they attended...they learned some stuff I'd rather they hadn't learned at such an early age. But the point is, they are going to get exposed whether I like it or not. And these are good opportunities to teach them how God wants us to live and the importance of guarding our hearts and hiding the word of God in our hearts.

Wow, I LOVED Oklahoma's music as a child ( I had the 8 track and every song memorized as a child-hehe) I've never really watched the movie. But it is surprising with some of the older movies and some of classics we have rented, the sexual suggestions and especially language they have in them! We just got the old Huckleberry Finn movie...and there were situations I had to explain even in that one! About what is a drunk, and Huck was smoking a pip and Josh asked, was it against the law to smoke as a child back then? Stuff like that they picked up on, and it piqued their curiosity about worldly things...

Jenn said...

Hehe, Huck was smoking a PIPE not pip...it is late...I'm sleeeepy!

In Everything said...

Sure, I think we cane use all sorts of situations to teach our kids what is right and wrong....but I dont think when they are young and are watching everything people do and say, that we don't need to over expose them.....there are plenty of real-life teaching lessons as we interact with each other and when we venture out of our homes;)

Leading Little Hearts home had a post about guarding their little hearts that was an encouragement tot me last week...

In Everything said...

Oh, glad your liked arranged!!! Jenn, you should watch it and see if you think it's ok for your kids yet....I think you all could have a lot of good conversations about different religions and the process you all will follow for choosing spouses!