Tuesday, May 26, 2009

WFMW: Stretching the Strawberry Season

Check it out at WFMW, hosted by We Are THAT Family!

I LOVE picking fresh strawberries and having them in the house during strawberry season. But we've learned how to "stretch the season" by freezing!!!


My first year freezing, I washed, capped and dried each strawberry. I stored them in quart sized ziploc bags... but I barely used them!! I tried thawing them in order to cut them to put over pancakes, too mushy. I could MASH them to put into breads, but then it took forever for them to really be thawed (unless I thawed them in the fridge the night before... LOL... that takes planning).

Last year I spoke to many women who are "good freeze-ers":) Anyway, they all recommended freezing the strawberries the same way I would use them.... so I want them sliced in circles to put on top of pancakes and diced to put into muffins and breads:) So that is what we did...

And all winter we were able to have strawberries on top of our pancakes and strawberries easily added to our sweet breads:) Yummm... so that is what we'll be doing again THIS year!!

I'm just thankful for my helper!! Who likes to watch TV or a movie while he works... looks like a commercial in the pic... LOL!

Smoothies, strawberry pie. What do you use strawberries in the freezer for? Maybe you could give me a new use:)

You can also get a glimpse of my new dining room wall color... We have a couple of pieces to move around before I take my final pics:)

5 comments:

Jenny said...

That would be a lot of work, but it would be nice to have it done whenever you are ready for strawberries. I like your wall color. Can't wait to see the pics.

Aisling said...

Fantastic tip, thank you!

Lisa said...

What a great idea, my daughter eats these everyday diced with a little sprinkle of sugar on them. I think I am going to have to stock up on them while they are only .99 at Aldi's and throw them in the freezer.

annies home said...

always a great idea to store and freeze especially fresh or at a great price

Amanda said...

Great tip, thank you. I mostly use frozen strawberries in smoothies, but it would be nice to have sliced ones around for other uses. I'm going to try canning some homemade preserves this month :)