Tuesday, May 5, 2009

5 and Reading, What's next?

I have many goals for our homeschooling time together....

One is that my kids learn to read and LOVE it!! Anna has been reading for awhile but it was only when I ask her to or during our school time. At night she'll look through books but I was never sure if she was actually attempting to read the words or not.

I picked up an Dick and Jane collection of readers a couple of years ago. While Dick and Jane is of the sight word philosophy of reading, Anna has really enjoyed reading these collection of stories. They are easier for her since she can sound out the few words she doesn't know.

I like that she LIKES them and that they are building her confidence in reading alone.... well, somewhat alone... Brian and I like to stay close so we can hear her read.... it's so great:)

Yesterday Brian did school with the kids while I was out. I didn't get to read with her and I missed it:) So I recorded some of our reading time from the afternooon.... gotta love "school" when it happens snuggled together on the couch:)



Now I need to figure out another series of books for her. There are readers at Walmart but they usually contain words that are not "beginner" level. So those books aren't exactly what I'm looking for. And I love books that encourage our family values and love and knowledge of the Lord. Any suggestions??

Today we will be at the library reading time!! I am soo thankful for our library staff... they have already been a great source of resources for our family and homeschooling:)

7 comments:

Drea said...

She does so well. I have no clue how to teach a kid to read properly.. thats yet another reason why Ive never tried teaching caleb how 2.

In Everything said...

I was soo worries too when we started, which is probably why I pushed her soo hard on the other book.

But really... them watching the Letter Factory and then using a SOLID "how to read" program.... and they've got!!

Except now it's practice, practice, practice!

Jenny said...

That is awesome! Congrats!

grandma said...

Anna, it thrilled me to hear you read. You are doing fantastic! I can hardly wait to see you and hear you read some more!

Ashley said...

Wow, she's doing great! I just ordered Letter Factory and am looking forward to it. Can I ask what "how to read" program you used?

In Everything said...

I use Ordinary Parents Guide to Teach Reading...

I'm working on a post that has more info since there are questions. I'd love to share what I had shared with me or learned through experience.

Anonymous said...

I have a suggestion what to read (hey, remember I am a bookseller, who else should give you suggestions LOL), but I am not sure about the English titles and whether all books are translated. The authors name is Sven Nordqvist. He is a Swedish author and writes very nice books about an old man named Pettersson living alone with a little cat, who can speak, called Findus. The books are so cute! Take a look for them!