Sunday, August 17, 2008

More Reactions

So Jenny was right.... the reason Christopher has been getting a very mild reaction at the table is because he's been enjoying some of the cucumbers from our garden.....


As you can see in the pic, his reaction is just a reddish blotches where the cucumber or cucumber juice has touched his skin. He didn't say anything about his mouth or throat.... no Benadryl needed this time...


And this is the "guessing game" people have to play with food allergies..... is cucumber the problem? Do we continue to feed him cucumbers since his reaction is sooo minor? Or do we avoid it in the hopes of him outgrowing it? What else can he be allergic to?

UPDATE- as I'm writing Christopher wakes from his nap with a runny nose ? I really didn't think anything of the nose but then as I fix him a quick snack I look at his lower cheek and it's red and covered in hives.... why??

Then he sneezes and his nose is running so he lifts his arm and wipes his nose with his wrist. I look at his wrist and it's red and really covered in hives..... BENADRYL time!!

So this is my theory... he had a mild outer reaction to the cucumber. But the cucumber is ingested and causes his nose to run. The cheek reaction is from his saliva (drool when he was sleeping) and the wrist reaction is from his snot.

So to answer an earlier question, it looks like he'll not be enjoying anymore cucumber soon!!The worst thing about this happening with Christopher is that he LOVES to try new foods!!!







6 comments:

Drea said...

wow.. is there something that causes all these reactions.. poor thing!
im glad hes ok tho!

Jenn said...

Oh this is horrible!!! Poor little guy...

=(

You are such a good mommy to figure our all of the issues you have to deal with regarding allergies.

Jenny said...

Oh, I am so sorry that I was right with the cucumber. I love eating it, too, and I can feel for Christopher if he cannot eat it anymore. By the way "pumpkin" is the family of cucumber, zucchini and melons. I'll cross my fingers that it will grow out when he will be a little bit older.

Mark and Rachel said...

Being there with you on the allergy guessing game, I think you are making the right call. As far as I've read, the more times an allergic person has something, the more potentially dangerous it can become to continue to feed it to him. You never know when it might go from just mild to bad to life threatening. Sorry for the new discoveries :(

3 for Me!! said...

The pediatrician office I go has told me over and over that reactins should not get worse the more they are exposed...... but the actual pediatrician I see is very, very cautious with the kids' food allergies!!

There is just so many different theories out there..... And honestly I'm starting to believe that allergies are different in different people. And different foods cause different reactions, even for an individual....it's just nuts....oops I mean crazy...no nuts:)

Jenny said...

well, as for me, I can tell you that it got worse. at the moment Christopher shows you the reaction "only" with hives on skin. But believe me, when it feels/looks like this in your mouth it is not funny anymore and it itches like mad. the most worst thing is when you get diarrhea. You really feel sick then and in my opinion you must not go that far that this happens to a child. If I would be you, I would let Christopher try new food and look if and how he reacts. For the food he already reacts I would make a break of a half or even a full year and let him try again.