Wednesday, January 9, 2008

In Memory

It's January 10th....already and again. In so many ways this is a "normal" (I'm not sure if anything is normal in my kid-world) day, but in other ways it's a hard day.


Five years ago, I went to work like any other day with no worries. When I returned home my sweet husband was waiting with a phone for me to return a call to my Mom that he thought sounded urgent....it was! She informed me that my Dad had passed away. Completely unexpectedly, no real warnings...he had a family history of young heart problems and had been dealing with a cold and some chills.

Five years....a lot has changed. My brother has served in Iraq in three different deployments. My family has grown from 2 to 5! I feel like I've really grown-up (sort of) especially since I meet the daily needs of three little people who are so dependent on me. We're serving in a small community church.

I'm thankful for the memories of Dad....watching football, pizza and soda, boating trips, all his high-tech gadgets, fishing, him visiting me in college, having lunch with him at work, baking cookies for him at Christmas, him worried about me getting married so young and to a preacher!!!! And I'm a little saddened by what he has missed....his three darling, energetic grandchildren and my brother working hard with his uncles (at least that is the story he tells me...love you)!



We Miss You, Daddy Kevin!


I always love to leave a verse that corresponds and encourages. My father never made any clear declaration of what he believed although he grew up in the Caltholic church, was generous to those he saw had needs, helped neighbors and proudly showed me where he had given to a Christian cause since he said it reminded him of something I would have been a part of. I'm reminded that our next moment or day is not guaranteed for anyone, therefore we must be ready.....

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour... [ of His comng or our departing]" Matthew 25:13

*Sorry about the quality of the pictures, we had to pull them off an old Power Point Slideshow....shown at our wedding!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too thought about him when I awoke this morning. Its sad he left us so young at 48. You're right we don't know the time or day so we all should be ready. Thanks for sharing

Mark and Rachel said...

Wow. Five years go fast. Praying for you today as you remember your dad.

Erica said...

I can't believe that was five years ago Kelly! I'll be praying for you...