Friday, January 4, 2008

Definition of frightened

The kids and I were reading a little magazine that their Grandma had ordered them for Christmas called High Five (for preschoolers and very cute). Anyway, it has little stories and poems and activities that the kids and I can do together. Great for our "structured...ha hahaa" preschool time!!!



Christopher, Anna and I were reading Little Miss Muffet. You remember the rhyme, I'm sure...



Little Miss Muffet

Sat on her tuffet,

Eating her curds and whey (milk products).

Along came a spider

and sat down beside her.

And frightened Miss Muffet away.


After we read it again and talked about the picture, I asked Anna is she knew what the word "frightened" meant. She responded,"It means people don't like spiders."


I thought this was funny because in the story that is exactly why Miss Muffet went away....she didn't like the spider. Of course I did tell her that frightened meant being scared. Anyway, I was amazed at the way she got the meaning through the story....that's what they teach you in school, if you don't know the work use the sentence and story to figure out the meaning :)



I thought I'd include a photo of Anna at work on the computer. Lately she asks to go onto the computer by saying, "Can I go on the computer to get my work done?" Work? Ahh yes, playing on pbskids.org and checking out "what Caleb is up to"(one of our friend's blogs) now equals work :)

1 comment:

Drea said...

I think Anna talked to Caleb about spiders. After she left the last time you all were here .. caleb said "hey mom come look at these spiders". And would climb up his bunk ladder and point to the mattress up there (air mattress haha). Im like "spiders?" he said "yea you see those spiders... they are scadooo!" aka scary.

Hes never said anything like that before HAHAH I think she told him spiders were scary. Which is funny because hes always been the type to squish them if they were small. Big ones do scare him.

Caleb says Dangerous a lot. I should ask him what he thinks that means :-)