Monday, June 30, 2008

Chocolate Breakup Recipe

OK... I found this recipe searching through one of the piles of magazines my mother-in-love left me during her last visit. I thought it looked yummy and pretty easy to make to fit our allergies..... and it had "normal" ingredients......


Chocolate Breakup
Makes: about 30 pieces
Prep: 10 minutes
Freeze: at least 3 hours
Bake: at 350 degree F for 15 minutes

Ingredients

  • 4 matzoh boards (I used generic Saltine Crackers, enough to line the bottom of pan)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 bag (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (check for allergens)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (we used pecans...we have a grove behind our church)

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Cover a 15-1/2 x 10- inch jelly roll pan with nonstick foil.

2. Line the prepared jelly roll pan with the matzoh to form a single layer, breaking pieces as necessary to fit. Sprinkle with salt.

3. In a small saucepan, bring the butter or margarine and sugar to a boil. Pour mixture evenly over matzoh. Bake at 350 degree F for 10 to 15 minutes or until matzoh is lightly browned.

4. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Working quickly, spread melting chips over matzoh. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts.

5. Freeze for 3 hours. Break up into 2-inch pieces to serve.

Even Brian, my picky chocolate dessert eater LOVED this:) YAY!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to send you a recipe that a lady from church gave me last Sunday---almost the same thing except she used graham crackers. She put a pecan in the center of each cracker rather than nuts over them and did not use chocolate. I'm going to try the saltines. I think the salt and sweet will be very good.

Wendy said...

Andrea directed me to your site because of my daughters allergies:) I think this recipe will become a fav in our house:) Thanks so much for sharing!!