Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday : Easy Sunday Dinner

I've always wondered what other families with young children go home to eat after Sunday church services.... I guess many go out or to their parents' house. But what do the rest of us do??

While Brian was a youth minister, we had a family invite us over to eat during service... just "out-of-the-blue"!! They had 4 children and I thought, "How in the world can they have a meal planned and ready for extra company?" But they did and we've adopted it (most Sunday lunches)!

On the phone with a friend this week and then having a church member call Sunday after church to jokingly invite himself for lunch... I thought I'd share this simple meal that can be quickly stretched for company:)

BREAKFAST!!!! LOL... nothing new, or different. I honestly won't have thought to serve breakfast for LUNCH, especially a Sunday Dinner:) But it's sooo easy to make some biscuits, scramble some eggs (for those that can eat them), cook some breakfast meat, make a fruit salad (from fruit in the frig) and EAT!!

The kids (and us) look forward to making biscuits and eating breakfast. They are always soo excited to help make the biscuits and set the table with a large variety of jams:)

I like not having to come up with another meal idea and being in the kitchen Saturday night and in the morning before church. I also like that we can throw an extra egg or two or make another batch of biscuits to share when we have company:)

Daddy was soo proud of his dough creation:) LOL... he loves to eat the little biscuits right from the oven... the kids and I like the dough!!

Yummmy... they came out PERFECT for everyone!!! Daddy pulled all the biscuits out of the oven at the same time so the last batch was lighter (and almost gooey in the middle) and the other batch was brown:)
Learn all sort of new things that work at Works for Me Wednesday !

3 comments:

Rachel R. said...

Are those biscuits from scratch? They rose really nice and high. I'd love the recipe. :)

Unknown said...

The recipe is very simple...

2 cups of self-rising flour
3/4 cups of milk (soymilk or apple juice)
1/4 cup of oil (veggie or canola)
1 tsp of baking powder

We used this recipe b/c we don't have to mess with shortening AND it's very allergy friendly:)

Niki Jolene said...

I'm very excited about that recipe! We never get to have biscuits anymore because my son is allergic to dairy.

:)

Come by and visit me over at Free 2 Be Frugal!