This is one of my FAVORITE milk-free, egg-free, peanut-free recipes we have. I make it ALL the time and even give it away with my allergy changes:) Best yet the recipe claims to be Low Fat and then I don't add regular milk or egg... so it's Extra Low Fat and cholesterol friendly:)
I promised my sweet mother-in-law that I'd post it soon. So Works for Me Wednesday this week seemed like a good opportunity:)
Let me first make a HUGE disclaimer.... the recipe I am sharing is from a Betty Croker cookbook that I have doctored and tweaked to fit the food allergy needs of my family... so on we go:)
1 1/4 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of Light Blue Bonnet margarine (allergy friendly), softened
1 tsp of baking powder
3 medium sized mashed bananas
1/2 cup soymilk
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups of self-rising flour
1 cup of fresh or frozen (drained in needed) blueberries
1. Heat oven to 350 and spray loaf pan(s) with non-stick spray (sometimes I have enough batter to make some muffins for the kids to snack on).
2. Mix sugar and margarine then add baking powder. Next comes all the wet ingredients and finally the dry:) Gently fold in blueberries.
3. Put the batter in the pans. Then I sprinkle cinnamon-sugar on top of the batter.
4. Bake 8 inch loaves about 1 hour, and 9-inch loaf about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Use the toothpick method to check to be sure it's done... egg-free things cook faster for me. Cool 10 minutes before trying to remove it from the pan.
5. Cool completely before slicing, 2 hours.... LOL... wish we did this! But it's good hot:) It does slice better when it's cool! It can stay at room temperature 4 days and in the frig 10 days... never lasts that long here:)