Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Southern - fied

I didn't grow up in the South!!

For biscuits we popped them out of a can. Mac-n-Cheese was made with a blue box:) And sweet iced tea could only be found at our neighbor's house whose husband was from the south:)

But I married a Southern boy! I married into a family that regularly bakes biscuits and serves sweet tea with their meals;)

After fixing a meal this week I realized I have been "southern-fied"!!



Oatmeal Fried Chicken Sandwich
Boneless chicken breast cut into "tenders" and pieces
Flour
Ground Oatmeal
Salt
Pepper
Soymilk

Dip the chicken in soymilk. Then dip it into the dry ingredients mixed in another bowl. Place in skillet with melted butter, Crisco or vegetable oil (yes, really healthy.... or you could bake in the oven, a healthier option!)

Potato Chunk Fries
Potatos, diced
Salt
Pepper
tiny bit of oil

Put the diced potatoes into bowl with oil, salt and pepper, mix it up. Put onto a lined cookie sheet (might want to spray it to be sure they don't stick). Bake at 400 for 45-60 minutes!

Yummy Sweet Carrots
1 lb of carrots
salt
pepper
1-2 Tbs light butter (ours is dairy free)
1-2 Tbs brown sugar

Put cut-up carrots and all ingredients into pan with a 1/4 cup of water. Cook on stove top until they are tender, about 7-10 minutes. Just watch that the water doesn't boil out.

And our tea was Peach tea... yummy! I used 2 sized family tea bags plus 3 peach-flavored Celestial tea and too much sugar! I think the peach flavor is already sweet, so I'd keep the sugar to about 1 cup...

but sweeten as you like, I cook for a Southern boy:)

**And if you're wondering why my ingredients are soo simple... the reason is food allergies and sensitivities!! Our kids have allergies to milk, peanuts and eggs. And my husband is also allergic to milk and have recently developed a sensitivity to garlic... yes, even minuet amounts of garlic powder in seasonings.... I tried to sneak some by.... and he reacted!

Linking up to:
Tuesdays at the Table
Tasty Tuesday

7 comments:

Uncle Scott said...

Mmmm! Making me hungry!!

Traci Michele said...

Those look good! My mom makes chicken fingers with ritz crackers crumbled up! So good too.

Here's my recipe: http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/03/rice-crispy-easter-eggs-to-make-with.html

Love,
Traci

Angela said...

Good for you to be southern-fied :)

I don't know if your kids can have bisquick mix or not. I made tenders with Bisquick last week and they were awesome!

Drea said...

mmm yummy!

Unknown said...

I could SO live in the south! LOL LOVE Sweet Tea and Southern Comfort Food...too much! LOL

Jessy

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Sounds good. I will have to try these out. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

This looks like something that would be tasty on my table.