Saturday, January 10, 2009

Because You Do Not Know... and Conversations with Dad

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour... [ of His comng or our departing]" Matthew 25:13

January 10th is my Day of Memory..... when January rolls around I immediately remember the events of this month years ago. The sudden, unexpected passing of my dad.

But I praise God for His grace, love and peace during the loss of my dad 6 years ago and DAILY!

His grace that covers our faults and failures both publically and in private. Through His Son we can recieve His grace!

His love. That He reaches to us, all of us. To recieve us! And then keeps us close (even when we don't feel it).

And His peace. “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid."
John 14:27

Even in some of the most difficult and easiest days, I praise God for His grace, His love and His peace!

Let me also share a Daddy Kevin story because we are left with memories, sweet memories! I remember when him and I sat down to discuss where I would be attending college. I had been living about 5 hours away from him at that time. I was considering a public college about 6 hours away from him or a private Christian college 2 states and about 8+ hours away. He and I were very different in our religious beliefs but he insisted that since this Christian college had the exact program I wanted (at the time) that should be my choice. I always thought it was funny that my non-practicing Dad was encouraging me to attend a religious school... maybe he thought I would be safer:)

I know many times in the conversation (and plenty of conversations following) when ever I had a hard decision to make, Dad would say, "Choose whatever will make you the happiest!"

So there will always be a piece of that misses my earthly father as I eagerly seek my Heavenly Father!

No comments: