Friday, February 12, 2010

So much better than TV...

I have to admit that we use the TV!

In the morning while Brian and I get ready the kids will watch a show or two (yes, and sometimes more if I have extra cleaning to do). Or in the afternoons as I prepare/clean up lunch. And sometimes in the late afternoon as they are waking from their naps and I'm working on a "project".

BUt I can't stand having the TV on all the time. First the kids have EXPECTED to watch the TV during these times and get cranky when we don't allow them. Second, many times they have fussy attitudes after they have watched for a little while- they'll balk at chores or cleaning up. Third, they are busy little kids that have soo much creativity built up in them that they DON'T need to watch a lot of TV!!

So yesterday as I prepared lunch, I asked them to pull out their library books and read/flip through them for 10 minutes. It took a couple of minutes for them to get settled, but library books were opening and little eyes were reading the words and pictures.

After the 10 minutes, Lydia approached Anna about reading a story to her from one of her favorite books. When I heard Anna reading aloud I came into the living room and saw this:




TV, more specfically PBSkids and videos (in my house), are fine and sometimes needed when MOmma and Daddy are busy. I love the programs they offer....

But they can't compare to the sweet moments of siblings snuggled together reading a book:)

5 comments:

grandma said...

wonderful

Jenny said...

So cute!

Aliesha Caldwell | Feathers in Our Nest said...

Aww! What sweet pictures.

Meg said...

That is just precious. They are such great brothers and sisters!

Andrea said...

Ooooooh so true! I can see the difference when my kids watch jsut one hour of tv (and that we don't even do that everyday!) - so cranky and bickery. But I always love finding them reading for the 'youngers'!