Friday, February 19, 2010

Potty Words at School

This week the kids have accused ME of using potty words during school!!!! LOL!! NOT using potty words/talk has been a training point in our house for the last few months. So you can imagine my kids' SHOCK when I had to use the word "pee-pee" (to explain what urine was) during our science lesson this week!

I've recently mentioned that we've transitioned into studying the human body. And with most of our science this year, it's been a GROUP thing which makes it that much FUN:) And this week we read about the kidneys and bladder! Of course we had to make them....



(Lydia has transitioned into wanting to color in the lines... you can see her concentration!)

and then the kids put them on their body "shadows"!! They have really liked their "bodies"... I really thought they would have been a little too young ! But they loved seeing where the organs go and making NEW organs for their bodies! They are soo proud of their "shadows"!


Mommy confession.... I sooooo have to look at the guide to see where these organs are going, especially in relation to the other organs that will be put in. I would have just clumped all together in the mid-section somewhere!! But my kids knowing now that the right kidney is a little higher than the left is just amazing to me;)

Besides reading from some of our resources and "making" our kidneys and bladder, the kids also have enjoyed some of the "experiments" that our books have described.

So today we used Grandma's coffee filters (thanks, Grandma!!) to be kidneys and to filter some water that we had put chalk dust in!!! Chris chose blue chalk and really watched his "kidney filter" to see if it would keep the chalk from getting into his "clean water/blood"!!!

It was pretty cool to see that the filters did keep the water semi-unpolluted with chalk coloring. And the kids will easily remember that we made "kidneys" with Grandma's coffee filters! And hopefully that will mean they remember that a kidney is like a filter;)

I laughed as they tried to explain the experiment to Brian at lunch!!! ha hahaaa!! But they did get it out and demonstrate that they did understand!

My favorite science quote this week was Anna this morning eating her breakfast! I had just given her bowl of oatmeal and she jumped up from the table. I asked her what she was doing. And she answered, "My bladder is full!!!!"

The real fun will be when we really get into the digestive system and the intestines.... I'm sure Mommy will have to use a couple more potty words:)

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Wanted to know - where did you get the organs that they coloered an cut out? WHen we've done the body 'shadow' in the past, I just hadn drew the organs for them. But I like the detail of yours! They look so nice!
Learning about the body at these ages is so much fun!!
Andrea

Heather said...

I love "Our body", our kids did that two years ago, I think we're going to do it again next year. You're doing great!

Oh, and congrats on the renovation to your home. That is so exciting! We're hoping that will eventually happen here at our parsonage. ;)

Meg said...

You are so creative! I love your bodies with the organs for the kids to really get interactive with the lesson! I am sure these hands on activites won't be quickly forgotten. I can imagine that years from now they will pull this out from their memories even into college. Great job!

Bunch of Barrons said...

Too funny! That's a great experiment with the coffee filters!