Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Desiring to Parent Joyfully

There are many days when the "joy" of being a parent slips away.... extra tasks on my "to do" list, an attitude that needs correction, laundry mounting, dinner needing fixing, another referee-ing moment, the roller coaster of house hunting weighing me down.

Its those times that the mother I want to be is replaced with a hurried, stressed out mom... and then that leads to snappy words, harsh tones, pushing away of "distractions", too many kiddos in "time out" and a focus on what needs to be done in the moment.

Earlier this week we enjoyed some gorgeous (and dare I say "warm") weather. With storms on the forecast for later in the week, we spent the better part of the afternoon between lunch and rest time OUTSIDE. It was nice NOT to have an agenda.... just sit back and watch:)

Enjoy the moments that I usually hurry along or miss while I'm in the kitchen! Like ...

inspecting the treasures found,  
not blow them away worrying about germs
IMG_9491
{pretty}

trying to capture the bubbles flowing from the wand,  
not just worry if the solution gets spilled in the process

IMG_9493
{funny}

giggling how a brother can torment a sister with BUBBLES!!, 
letting the squeals happen
IMG_9503
{real}

and seeing a radiant smile... true joy, 
behind a dirty little face:)

IMG_9497
{happy}

I LOVE the 10 Points of Joyful Parenting by Ann Voskamp at Holy Experience.... read it!! You'll be glad you did:)

When we settle into a new house, a new routine, this printable will be on my Mommy encouragement wall...

yes I need a WALL to encourage me to be the mom that I desperate want to be in the midst of any crazy, attitude-filled, busy, normal day!! I have the choice to live joyfully in all the moments... when I am willing to be stretched... to serve endlessly with a grateful heart overflowing with love and compassion!!

The last picture is for here...







and here;)





and then, she {snapped}




round button chicken

9 comments:

Abby said...

Brothers! The pictures made me chuckle. :) I loved this post; thanks for sharing your heart. I can't wait to read the link you shared (Anne V.).

I'd like to share the Versatile Blogger Award with you!

http://meetourfamily2.blogspot.com/2011/10/twice-in-my-life-ive-won-something.html

EMily said...

I love that last one!

*kate said...

Great post! Looks like a wonderful afternoon - I'm so glad you got to really enjoy it :)

Sarah said...

Wonderful pictures! Gorgeous kiddies you have Kelly :)

Julia said...

The title of your post caught my eye in the link-up. How true your post rings with me. I will read the list from Ann. Most of the time (not always)I think my snappiness and hurriedness come from the fact that I am behind because I was wasting time instead of doing what I was supposed to be doing. Thanks for the post.

Ashley Sisk said...

I love that dirty face - so cute!

justamouse said...

Bubbles are the best. And you really captured the fun they were having.

Dawn said...

What a wonderful reminder. I love the pictures.
Blessings,
Dawn

Unknown said...

I am your newest follower! You can visit me at http://mymodernguide.blogspot.com

Beki :)