Friday, June 10, 2011

I'm Still Offering...

although I know it's the end :(

Nate is 13 months. He's been a great little nurser... just from minutes after delivery he figured it all out and has been the model little breastfeeder ever since! (a huge blessing, I know)

But he's been weaning himself for some time now.... not bringing me his burpcloths and climbing into my lap. He's been way too easily comforted by a cup of soymilk and some Cheerios, his burpcloth, a toy car or his paci :(

For the few weeks he'd only been breastfeeding in the morning and at night (occasionally a snack before a nap or if we woke in the middle of the night or wee hours of the morning)!

This last week he's had at least ONE 24hour period he didn't nurse AT ALL!!!! First he slept 12 hours through the night... yippeee!! In the morning he was very content playing and then eating breakfast with us (soymilk, bagel and banana). In the evening I attended a ladies Bible study and then headed off alone to grocery shop (another yippee!!). I expected him to wake at midnight and get in his feeding, but he DIDN'T. In fact he slept IN the next morning and again was content with playing and breakfast.

It was then that I knew that the "end" was nearer than I thought :(

There is such a crazy mix of emotions when the "baby" weans themselves. The realization that he's really NOT such a little baby any more. And that my body is finished providing for him in a very real way.... <tears> And yes, even thinking about Nate nursing still brings a "full feeling" to my chest.

But there are other very real advantages.... dates alone with Daddy can resume;) Chocolate, ice cream, PIZZA... and then exercise to work it all back off!! LOL!! Late night chats with Bible study ladies :)

I knew this was coming.... it was just a matter of time... it's just part of my "baby" growing up :(
Which he is doing soo quickly:)



And I will survive! I've been through this before :( And while reading that post of when Lydia weaned herself, she was almost the exact age of Nate... between 13 and 14 months! Must just be "our" ending time.

In case I haven't mentioned it before, Anna finished breastfeeding the night of her 1st birthday. She looked at me, waved "night night" and walked to her crib and held up her arms to be put in. Chris hated nursing and we survived 10 months... finally my body couldn't make enough for him (and probably wasn't getting any signals from him he needed more) and he started loosing weight :( I was already VERY pregnant with Lydia, so that probably had something to do with it as well!!

And for now, I'll still offer at night... but I know these sweet, nursing cuddle moments are almost gone! And I'll have to be fine with him in my lap reading his favorite board books before bed.

6 comments:

grrandma said...

He's too little to be riding alone!!! He has Lydia's determination! Such a precious little boy!

Drea said...

Awe... I can imagine that is a bittersweet time.. even tho my nursing ended at just 2 weeks... I still get an ache in my chest thinking of the day Owen wont let me hold him to feed him his bottle. I think the bonding experience is different in ways... but I really do enjoy our sit downs on the recliner before his naps and bedtime with a bottle. He is such a slow drinker that it gives me like 10 min solid to just soak him up. I love that.

They really do grow to fast!
But yay for dairy again :) and late nights HEHE - maybe we can have a ladies retreat now!!

Stacey said...

Nate is just sooo sweet! And I know it's such a strange feeling when nursing comes to an end. Emery stopped at around the same age. Now I don't really think about it anymore, but it was kinda hard at first. They grow up waaaay too fast!

Bunch of Barrons said...

It is so hard to watch them grow...but at the same time it does give you a bit more freedom! :)

Anonymous said...

I so know what you mean. Carsyn is starting to wean also. He is such a happy guy most anything can calm him down. He is down to 2-3 times a day. I just need him drinking more out of a cup. How many ounces do you think he drinks from a cup a day?

Anonymous said...

btw cute photos. :)