Friday, May 6, 2011

A Mother's Day Challenge

Seems like the last few weeks I've been hit from everywhere about Mother's Day sales - deals- "must haves". Or conversations about what an "ideal" Mother's Day looks like.... ie, pampering, no cooking, paper plates or naps;)

Not that these things are bad.

But my heart wants more...

I don't need more stuff (no, not even high heels!!). And while a relaxing day sounds awesome, my heart yearns for this Mother's Day to have more meaning.

So I'm using this Mother's Day to reflect and pray to grow as a mother:) Because I earnestly desire to be a loving, patient, faithful and godly mother to Anna, Christopher, Lydia and Nathaniel. And I fail soo much, soo often...

Here are some of the most inspiring and resources that have encouraged me in this desire:
And this sounds so cliche, but applying Scripture is just soo revealing and convicting. While reading through Colossians, I was stopped by this passage to pray for my children
    We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.
    Col 1: 9b-10
    And then the following passage to pray for myself:)
    We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light. For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins. Col 1 : 11-14

Even as I write this I feel like such a hypocrite and failure... I've had to correct each of my children today (just one of those days)!! While the corrections were all needed, my attitude during the corrections was wrong.... and exactly one of the things I am praying and working hard to change in my mothering.

In fact while I was reflecting about how I corrected (my tone of voice/attitude) this verse was brought to my mind

So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do,
do it all for the glory of God.

1 Corinthians 10:31 (NLT)



ouch...

yes, even my tone of voice, the way I talk to my children, when I have to correct should be for God's glory!!

And the motivation becomes even stronger to use this Mother's Day as a challenge to grow into the mother that God has called me to be in the lives of my precious children (and the godly wife to my great husband) !!!

2 comments:

Drea said...

love this!

Anonymous said...

I just recently found your blog! This was a wonderful post, very encouraging. Thanks!