Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Acne and Lack of Sleep

The last few days little Nate's face has really broken out... like really bad... he has enough pimples to get his drivers license!!!!

In an effort to confirm our guess that it was indeed "baby acne" and not a reaction (like Anna was insisting), I did a little searching online:)

One of the 1st paragraphs of an article was a perfect description of us and Nate right now:

To many parents' dismay, their beautiful newborn's face breaks out with red bumps. One of the most common causes for red bumps on an infant’s face is baby acne. It tends to occur at about the same age as the baby's peak gas production and fussiness. How attractive! (This all coincides with parents' maximum sleep deprivation.) Parents are often quite concerned both about how these bumps look and about their significance.

Here's where I got it from: http://www.drgreene.com/qa/what-baby-acne#ixzz0p45fm6BQ



Yes... we had a feeling "gas production and fussiness" had peaked... ummm, especially at night!!! Man oh man....

The 1st 2 weeks, Nate spoiled us at night. There were times I got 5 hours of sleep at time!! But then since Saturday or so, Nate has wanted to eat and scream all night...

seriously, for a couple of nights I had maybe 2-3 hours of sleep all night. I DON"T function well with only 2 or 3 hours!!!!!! Just ask my family.... or don't!

Anyway, we were very thankful that Nate had a better night last night. We had a plan all ready.... I keep Nate, Brian sleeps somewhere else then lets me sleep in. But we didn't even have to resort to "survival mode".... Nate nursed every 3 hours BUT didn't scream for hours inbetween feedings! Must have been the gas drops!

Anyway, maybe we have finished the "peak gas production and fussiness"... maybe!!! Oh, it would be nice because we have a BUSY weekend with family (parents and siblings) coming in and Anna's 6th birthday:) We have plenty to do!

7 comments:

Mrs. Stam said...

Praying that the issue get resolved soon!!!

Jenny said...

Poor gassy baby! I hope he stays feeling better and you all can get some sleep!

Heather said...

I'm sorry. I hope he starts sleeping better for you. We have started letting Carissa cry and put herself to sleep. We can only do it during the day because our house is small and she would wake everyone up in the middle of the night.

I'm usually trying to do everything to keep her quiet at night. So far we've been very fortunate. Try not to eat many greens (lettuce), I found out with one of my babies that salad made them have gas.

Davene said...

Oh, I feel for you! Last summer, this was me writing about Shav. The fussiness, the acne, THE LOSS OF SLEEP FOR MOM - huge.

Hang in there. This too shall pass. I'll pray that it passes quickly. :)

Have you ever heard of Gripe Water? It's a natural remedy for gas. We used that extensively with our firstborn, and it was a lifesaver.

Bunch of Barrons said...

Aw...hang in there. Tirzah got baby acne really bad, hopefully that's all it is. And hope he starts sleeping better for you! I know the feeling...I don't do well on little sleep either. I'm like a grizzly bear. ;)

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

Oh yes....I went through that with TigerBoy.......
But oh my, he's still so adorable!!!
And I hope you can get some zzzzzzz in soon.....

Meg said...

I'm so sorry! I totally remember that gassiness stage with Harrison. The poor babies are absolutely miserable and can't tell us where it hurts! I feel like I should have bought stock with Mylicon drops! I hope Nate is over the worst! You guys are doing great!