Friday, November 20, 2009

Challenged....

Lately I have been challenged....

You see, I LOVE being a MOM!! And I love having such a hands-on role in their education and have them active at church....but there is soo much more to motherhood. It truly is a minstry!!!

When I saw the title of Ministry of Motherhood.... my heart leaped. I was actually looking for another book by this author, but this one spoke to what some of my recent prayers have been. I have LOVED this book and always look forward to a couple of quiet moments during naptime to read a few pages and just reflect on how to apply the lessons:)

I've also been blessed to be apart a of a Mom's Bible Study through the homeschool group we've joined this year. YOu'll never believe the book we are working through..... YEP, Ministry of Motherhood!!! Divine timing:)

Last week we had a conversation about pushing success on our children. And how one of our greatest our desires should be to equip them to be Christ followers! WOW.... talk about a hard concept to swallow by a bunch of homeschooling moms who worrying that our kids are "keeping up" with public school kids, are meeting State requirements, or will be "smart" enough to get into college.

In reading some inspiriational blogs, I ran across Proverbs 31 Ministry's post "I don't want to raise successful children". My favorite part of the article is this quote:


I'll stand by what I said and I'll say it again, I don't want to raise
successful children
. Because --- raising God-honoring adults who
will set the world on fire for Christ is just so much more rewarding.


** Brian and I have also dicussed this idea.... And I thought I should clarify that to be educated and taught to reason and write are good things to pursue. I think of how Anna can read her Bible and learn her Awana verses because she has been taught to read. And I think of intelligent men and women who use their abilities to write inspirational books that encourage us in our spiritual walk. Or doctors that have the knowledge to take care of us or travel to the most needy parts of the world.

The point is that we shouldn't be consumed with having "successful kids"!!! We should strive to help them become God-honoring children/adults. We teach them to work hard to honor God, not just for success alone. AND that our worth (both parents and children) is not based on "success" but on being a child of God!!

Now, isn't that challenging??? Especially in the mundane mothering tasks you have before you today... diapers, meals, correcting attitudes and actions, laundry, school-time, dishes, and vaccuming!!!

5 comments:

Megan said...

you know, i ran into the mission of motherhood when i was 8 months pregnant, and essentially- the ENTIRE foundation of my passion and purpose for mothering through Christ was built (beginning to build, anyway!) in the time of reading that book, and i've read it countless times since for fresh vision and encouragement. then naturally, i've loved all of sally's books since!

Megan

In Everything said...

Once you read Sally's work and see her heart for leading her kids to Christ and encouraging others to do the same.... you'll want to read more!

I LOVE how down-to-earth she and her family are!!

Angela said...

I'll have to find that book. Thanks for the suggestion. My heart is in tune with yours as far as raising my children.

I had a mother ask me once would I think less of my daughter if she didn't want to go to college. What would I think if Eden wanted to please God with her life as wife and mother. How would I define Eden's success? It was, and still is a challenge to my thinking :)

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh...another book to add to my list. This looks and sounds great!

I continually remind myself that the entire point of educating them is that they KNOW GOD BETTER! (not that they are way ahead of everyone else on Explode the Code ;) ) It is hard not to measure them the way the world tells us too...I could go on :)

Babs H said...

That was one of my favorite books too!