Sunday, October 28, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up: The Catch Up

Ok... so I've been pretty neglectful of my Weekly Wrap-Ups. But I feel like it's better to neglect the blog than the kids, their schooling, the housework and meals. Or the puppy who like attention and makes messes if he doesn't get enough attention... LOL!!

We've also had great visits with grandparents, my aunt and uncle (and their 3 4-legged girls) and lots of time both at home and the park with friends. Add in SOCCER a few nights a week and we've stayed busy enough... actually the rain from Sandy has been a nice "break" :)

Bible
We continue to enjoy the Our Family Ways. We attempt to memorize the way and the Bible verse each week. I like that when "issues" come up during the day we can remember the "way" together. I'd love to get my act together and post the "ways" somewhere so we really can have these biblical reminders just a glance away.

We've also enjoyed attending the Wednesday night program for the kids. The older three all run off to their classes each night;) I usually stay with the Nate in the nursery or attend a class with the kids or adults (when Nate isn't with me). Definitely still feel soo new to the church.... just takes time, I know:/

Language Arts
We were faithful in our studies... although not always happy about it! There are a few choices for our Grammar and Writing this year that continue to be a struggle with us. I think it's just that we added in Writing and no one was really excited about another subject... LOL!! And what I chose seems to be a little too easy or maybe we're not doing it right? Anyway, I'm trying to make it less "painful" and more fun... some days are just easier than others:/ May even need to do a curriculum change in these subjects after Christmas... maybe.

A "fun" activity that involves writing for Anna was for her to do book summaries. She's not very thrilled to remember the book to compose the summary but I thought it would be a great execerise for her combining her reading, comprehnesion, writitng, Grammar and sentence structure ....

She wasn't into it until I told her she should BLOG her summary;) You know, share what she's been reading with others (maybe even other kids who might like to read the book after she summarizes it). She liked that idea:) Her first summary is on her blog:)  A good start... looking forward to doing  more with "fun" writing assignments with my guinea pig... oops, I mean first born;)

Math
The kids are doing excellent in math. I'm still having to push the older ones with their new math facts, but I already see improvements since last semester. I need to get them practicing when it's NOT "school time" too;)

Anna has been using the DIVE DVD series with Saxon Math 54.  I think both of us were a little sad that I wasn't going to be going over every lesson with her. But the DVDs have been a brain/time saver for us. With two other math lessons to teach everyday, Anna is thankful she doesn't have to wait for one-on-one time with me before she completes her math. And I'm right there with her at the table during her practice problems to field any questions :) Strange not to be as hands-on with her math this year.... I guess that's part of the beauty of them growing up:)

We've been super spoiled by them though. I found them on a local homeschooling e-swap/sale for $20 (retailing new for $100) and it's been the best tiny investment. Hoping to find another set for us for next year... maybe I'll find it since I know what I'm looking for:)

Here are some fun math memories these last few weeks...
IMG_8341

Working on comparison symbols with Chris.... hands on ALWAYS works better with him;) Love that he got comfortable enough to do a little harder examples.... remains me of an Algebra problem I gave when teaching High school:) Love that Saxon introduces these concepts gradually... hoping that they grow familiar with these concepts and not overwhelmed in the higher grades;)

IMG_8344

And my little sponge Lydia. I asked her to make 17 cents using dimes and pennies. She couldn't help herself... she HAD to use the nickel. Too funny how the younger ones just absorb concepts the older ones learn.
IMG_1466

Speaking of cents, Chris learned the symbols for dollar and cents. One suggested activity was to look through a store ad to find dollar and cent symbols. Chris was glad to add them in the Piggly Wiggly flyer... he  spent WAY MORE TIME on this than I thought he would.
IMG_1484

Science
In Science we finished up the Physics experimenter with Air and moved into experiments and concepts with Water. SO far the most interesting experiment was seeing the leftover minerals/particles in tap and rain water. I was definitely surprised by the "leftovers" in the rain water dish.... I really had the impression that rain water was "cleaner"... not so, at least NOT our water.

We've also talked about how water acts when frozen, chilled and heated... a little different take than just water can be solid, liquid and gas.

Again, I'm trying to stay on top of our assigned Science... but the kids are getting lots of little Science exposure... like clouds rushing as the hurricane approaches, the leaves turning colors and falling in autumn and yes, some days I'm thankful for Wild Kratts... it doesn't count, but they are learning:)

Nutrition
I'm not sure if I have blogged about Nutrition class. It's a program through our 4H extension office. The kids love going and I've been glad for the food choice and exercise influence on my kiddos:)
IMG_1539

 The other day another 4H Director brought games for the kids and some  information about us starting a 4H club for our homeschoolers. I think it would be a great idea to continue to have a practical Science opportunity for the kids 2x a month through 4H!
IMG_1537


History
I've been dragging my feet a little with history because I'm just not sure what we're doing next. So we took our time talking about the Zulu, South Africa and the Boer War. Then this week we read through two sections without taking a lot of extra time to dive in deeper.

This week is our last chapter of Story of the World 3. We are taking a little detour with the elections and then I think we'll start SOTW 4 or NC History... still debating :/ Or maybe do a little SOTW 4 through the Civil War and then do NC HIstory... again, still deciding.

Music
In music the kids have started using recorders to learn how to read and count music. It's a very noisy class but the kids love it. They came back home and have practiced through the worksheets their teacher gave them... yes, I now hear Hot Cross Buns regularly coming from the schoolroom.. won't their teacher be pleased;)

Anna has also picked back up Piano for Preschoolers. She is working through some of the lessons and songs herself. Lessons may be in the routine soon:/


Picture of the Week :) and Tot in the Schoolroom

IMG_8332PlayDoh is a hit at my house!!

So when Nate asks for it out... the bigger kids play, too, after they make their spelling words in the PlayDoh.

 It worked out wonderfully that morning; as the younger 3 played at the table, Anna and I worked on her Grammar and writing;) Nice!


Definitely putting to use the trays Grandma got for us;)

Linking up to Weekly Wrap-UP:)

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Did Anna type all of that on the blog? That is just awesome!

Thanks for the reminder about the Family Ways book. I bought it, but forgot I had it already. It's been so busy here.

Oh and I'm way behind on my weekly review posts. I'm not sure I'll ever catch up.

Unknown said...

Wow! Feels like it's been a long time since I've visited your blog! The kids seem so much older! ::wink:: And Anna's blog - cute!

We just started SOTW this year, and the kids are enjoying. I'm taking the simple approach: reading it aloud, keeping a wall timeline and labeling events on a wall map. It's nice to see a family who's completed most of the books!

Phyllis said...

So many wonderful learning experiences! What a great and varied school life your kids have! Wonderful just to read (I bet even more so to do.)