Saturday, June 30, 2012

Labor, a Roller Coaster and Camping and how they Relate to Moving

A couple of months ago I was using the comparison of this "move" season to being pregnant. No one looks forward to labor, but by the time it's about time for the baby to be due, the pregnant woman is ready for it... she'll take it pain and all:) Sorta;) Well that's what I was feeling like with this upcoming move... I HATE packing, but I've been waiting to move for over 11 months now... I've was beginning to look forward to packing:)

But this week the comparison to our "move" season is more like a rollercoaster!!!

And honestly, I'm ready to get off the ride.... to be done!!

My heart has been unsettled for too long. I'm emotionally drained from all the highs and lows. I'm looking forward to the end of the ride when my heart isn't pumping sooo fast waiting for the next "low".

It seems like the whole process has been highs and lows.... times of excitement and then feelings of dispair/frustration at a new "situation" with the house. Like when we were just about to close on the loan a few days before Christmas only to find out from the bank that our lot was in a flood zone. That status took a MONTH to work out... surveys, statement to the bank....

yes, that took a MONTH!

IMG_1047
Then there was the rain that prevented the foundation. The plumber that quit due to the distance to the job. And the special order door made backwards:/

I've been frustrated... shedded tears. Prayed with friends for peace and joy through the crazy times:) It's been a hard 11 months.

This week finally broke me though... I was angry, frustrated..... emotionally exhausted!!

After spending two weeks (3 of those days while my husband was a time zone away) busting my tail and dragging along my kids, spending HOURS cleaning the house and bringing over 9 loads of stuff (clothing, toys, books, kitchen stuff) to the house... I was really looking forward to getting "the green light" to move in.

The green light for us is a document from our county stating that our house passed an inspection!


On Monday, the inspector when through and the house didn't pass. We had some minor issues... insulation not thick enough and ventilation needed to the schoolroom. Early Wednesday afternoon the crew came in... sweated their tails off in our attic and got everything ready for the "final" inspection. Our contractor even showed up to be sure the house was ready :)

Looking forward to the possibility to move in this weekend, we began to arrange for a moving van. It was stress city trying to get a van for our use this weekend, in fact the company called with apologies and a credit since they couldn't find anything for us.

On Thursday, I packed what I thought would be our "final" load before the "big" move... Brian had secured a private van from a local company. I loaded all our dishes and most used cookware:) While I knew our house was no where close to being packed and ready, I was ready for the "green light"... at least saying we could "live" at our house.

And I was very excited with the possibility that we could spend the next night (Friday) in the house:) So fun!

You can imagine the shock when I got the kids in our l.o.a.d.e.d. mini-van and read a text from Brian saying that the inspector wasn't going to make it to the house until Monday afternoon... maybe!!!

WHAT!!!????!!

Anyway, I didn't handle it well.... not at all!! But it was all the emotions and frustrations coming to a head. I just thought of all rushing and late nights I had had with the kids. And the things we had let pass us by this spring and early summer because we were thinking the move was going to happen more quickly.... like Anna's 8th birthday, our 10th wedding anniversary (nope, we didn't do anything, no dinner, no date.... nothing... just packed and ran errands with the kids to get the house ready), Mother's Day, Father's Day and we almost didn't go to Wesley's 1st Birthday!!!

it was a "low" :/

Sometime that night (Thursday) Brian contacted a church member asking to borrow his truck and trailer to run a few bigger things to the house to at least start the moving process so when we'd get the documentation to move in we could and would have less to move with a moving van.

IMG_9799

Our sweet friend agreed!!

What started as a few things turned  into... 2 days of insane moving in 100+ degree weather!! 6 truck/trailer loads (insane we have that much stuff) and many men and hands helping. A HIGH for sure!!

As I look around the house tonight, there is very little;) We are all sleeping on mattresses on the floor. We're eating off paper plates;) No dryer or couches, a couple of outfits for each person in suitcases, a few lamps and a TV:)
IMG_9798
We're now officially camping out in the parsonage until the house can be inspected and pass!! LOL!!!

 But as we look at the holiday week, we quickly realize that we could be here "camping out" until Friday:/  Please pray that this "final" step happens soon and we can move ourselves and mattresses to the new house...

and be off the rollercoaster:)

BTW.... I will not take lightly how blessed we are. That we can move into a wonderful house! That we have amazing friends and neighbors willing to come help us... some stopping as they passed to help load!! Even in tears of frustration to a friend after receiving that text from my hubby, I was reminded to how blessed I was... that she would remind me to be "joyful" when she knew I wasn't !

And while it's been crazy the last 2 days with the trailers and men loading up almost everything in the house.... I am so very grateful for the ability to move loads at a time versus packing a whole truck at once and unloading it all at once!! A blessing to be moving nearby.

And that each time I want to complain that we can't be in our house.... I am reminded of the people who have lost their homes to floods and fires in the last 2 weeks!!!! And the amazing community we have around us that I will be leaving ( but not be too far from) and get to enjoy a few more days!!

We are blessed!!

Pictures from our 2 day packing SPRINT!!
IMG_9797

IMG_9803
How Grandma keeps them cooled off and out of the way of the packing crew:)


3 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh that would be so annoying to have everything planned and then the guy not even show up. I'm sorry that happened to you!

It will be over soon and you will be able to breathe again!!

I love the pic of the cats "helping" you all pack. LOL at hanging out in the cooler. It's been so hot here too.

Elizabeth said...

So sorry to hear of all your struggles. We will be praying for you all. Just remember His strength is made perfect in weakness.

Rachel said...

Oh no! I was hoping and praying all had gone well. Thought of you guys as we were doing some moving too. I can COMPLETELY sympathize with the drama related to move and ups and downs...though yours seems to have lasted longer than ours. Come to think of it, ours aren't over yet since we are just doing (another) temporary move with hopes of the "real" one still looming. God's got a plan...somewhere in it all. Will be praying for you this week!