just for the month
I know some of you think it's crazy and my kids will suffer and fall behind. But truthfully there are sooooo many super lifelong skills and schooling involved in preparing and enjoying the holidays...
- helping to write our family Christmas letter (which didn't get completed this year... so sad!)
- baking cookies (reading recipes, measuring ingredients, following directions)
- learning & singing Christmas carols (reading, singing and ministry opportunities)
- Visiting older neighbors
- making gifts for others
- planning gift purchases for others (staying in a budget, hunting for good prices)
- Advent reading and activities (spiritual growth, development and reading)
- and the list goes on...
I have felt very RUSHED.....
We're rushed to get school completed each day so I can complete another "fun" holiday task. We've really rushed through and even neglected our Advent calendar, so we can prepare lunch or get everyone a nap before our evening activities.
Each evening I"m rushed through our meal, sometimes an activity and then to get all the kids in bed so I can shop (online) for a few more gifts or wrap a gift or two, decorate or work on our Christmas card..... all things I LOVE to do!
So instead of finishing off our week with school book work,
we are going to finish reading some more Christmas celebration books.
Wrap some presents for extended family TOGETHER! Trying to keep them from Nate!! I don't think the laundry basket idea is working... LOL!!
And do some Christmas activities that I've been wanting to do with the kids...
Like this project about the symbols of Christmas, how they originated and what they tell about Christ or remind us to do at Christmas.
We'll see what happens next year.... but with some extra planning and some creativity, I think a couple of weeks off (of formal school books) would be an awesome way to prepare and celebrate the whole Christmas season!!
I'm linking up to.... (if it happens this week!!)